By now you’ve seen the new trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Chances are—if you’re like those of us at Monkeys Fighting Robots– you’ve seen it a couple dozen times. And why not? There’s a lot to like here. This is Disney’s first attempt to show there’s more to the galaxy far, far away than just the Skywalkers, Solos and Kenobis.
WHAT WE KNOW
Anyone with an internet connection know Rogue One is intended to be a bridge between Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope. But we still learned a few new details.
The trailer introduces us to Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones) a rebellious ass-kicking young woman who is sent on a mission to steal the plans for the original Death Star. This is shaping up to be basically an intergalactic heist movie.
We also know this movie will capture the look and feel of A New Hope. We see classic stormtroopers, Imperial AT-AT Walkers, X-Wings and X-Wing pilots, and the Death Star. I also now know that the alarms at a rebel base give off an awful sound.
WHAT WE THINK WE KNOW
Here’s a list in no particular order:
- Forrest Whitaker appears to be talking to Jyn, warning her about losing herself if she takes on this mission.
- There will be an X-wing pilot who looks a lot like Poe Dameron, but isn’t because he’s clearly a different actor and the movies are separated by like 30 years.
- The Death Star is nearly complete which could mean this movie literally goes up to the point of the start of A New Hope.
- Ben Mendelsohn plays a new villain who may or may have a light saber on his belt.
- Karate masters exist in the Star Wars universe
- There’s going to be some pretty sweet battles.
- Darth Vader makes an appearance. Sort of, maybe. (More on this in a second)
WHAT WE DON’T KNOW
Pretty much everything else. This trailer like all the trailers for The Force Awakens tries to keep as many details shrouded in mystery as possible. It’s what makes this trailer awesome; recognize I know some stuff about the plot, but then remind me that, like Jon Snow, I know nothing.
THE VADER QUESTION
So the big question is will we see Darth Vader in Rogue One and if so how much? In the trailer you see a figure in a dark cloak, hood pulled up. The only time we’ve ever seen Vader in a cloak was when he was still called Anakin Skywalker. The lack of the Vader helmet coupled with the fact that the cloak with the hood pulled up is more of an evil emperor’s fashion choice makes it clear to me that’s not Vader.
But between the Imperial Guard and this looking like Vader’s chamber I’d say he’s definitely in this movie. So, how much? I’d think his dark-side presence will loom over the entire thing. However I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t actually see him until the very end as he takes over the hunt for the stolen death star plans.
While having Vader around is needed for fan appeal if Disney really wants to expand the Star Wars universe than having a heavy Vader presence makes little sense.
What do you think? Leave a comment.