This weekend saw the domestic opening of Marvel’s latest flick Doctor Strange. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as the mystic character Stephen Strange, the film opened to 84.9 million. That is the 10th highest opening in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but the second best opening for a solo character debut flick behind the first Iron Man‘s 98.6 million. Doctor Strange started its international haul last weekend, and grew to 240 million this week. That means the film has already crossed 300 million worldwide.
The Marvel flick was not the only debutante this weekend, as Fox’s animated film Trolls entered theaters alongside it. Featuring the voices of Anna Kendrick, Justin Timberlake, and Russell Brand to mention a few, the film opened to 45.6 million. While the film carries a production budget north of 125 million dollars, Fox are unlikely to be worried as the film has already grossed over 150 million worldwide. So the film will likely give the studio a healthy profit by the time it leaves theaters.
The last nationwide opening was the war drama Hacksaw Ridge. The first directorial effort by Mel Gibson since 2006’s Apocalypto, the film stars Andrew Garfield as Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector sent to battle in Japan. The film opened with 14.7 million, a respectable number compared with Gibson’s other directorial efforts. Given the film’s strong award buzz, it will likely hold quite well in the coming weeks.
In holdover news, last week’s champion Boo! A Madea Halloween dropped 54.7% to 7.8 million, while the Tom Hanks starrer Inferno rounded out the top 5 with a second weekend drop of 57.9%, for a cume of 6.2 million.
Next weekend will see the Amy Adams sci-fi flick Arrival open domestically, as well as the ensemble comedy Almost Christmas. Neither is likely to be able to topple Doctor Strange in its second weekend.
To get the full box office results, go to Box Office Mojo.
Top 10 Box Office Earners, November 4th-6th
- Doctor Strange: 84.9 million, 325 million worldwide total.
- Trolls: 45.6 million, 149.6 million worldwide total.
- Hacksaw Ridge: 14.7 million, no international openings yet.
- Boo! A Madea Halloween: 7.8 million, 65.6 million worldwide total.
- Inferno: 6.2 million, 185.3 million worldwide total.
- The Accountant: 5.9 million, 109 million worldwide total.
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back: 5.6 million, 111.9 million worldwide total.
- Ouija: Origin of Evil: 3.9 million, 64.4 million worldwide total.
- The Girl on the Train: 2.7 million, 140.6 million worldwide total.
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children: 2.1 million, 253.4 million worldwide total.