Slasher Saturday Is A Weekly Break Down Of A Horror Franchise. This Week: ‘Friday The 13th’!
There is no doubt that ‘Friday The 13th‘ is a massive part of pop culture. Most people can’t see a hockey mask without thinking of slasher Jason Voorhees. That’s why I wanted to kick of the Slasher Saturday series with this iconic franchise.
Below is a ranking of EVERY Friday The 13th movie from worst to first:
12. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday
- I really don’t want to say much about The Final Friday. It upsets me that they turned the Friday The 13th mythos into some worm slug that possess people and mystical daggers. At least Jason Voorhees looked cool before he was blown up…
11. Friday The 13th: A New Beginning
- You want Jason when you are watching Friday The 13th. A New Beginning gives you a guy in a hockey mask. You can tell it isn’t Jason. Plot twist: it’s not. It is a grieving father seeking revenge. A wasted movie in the franchise.
10. Jason X
- Where does a horror franchise go to die? Space. Jason X decided to really change up and show a Friday The 13th in 2455. At least this movie has the awesome Kane Hodder playing Jason and a David Cronenberg cameo.
9. Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
- Sure, Jason really isn’t in New York that long but at least he punches a guy’s head off. Part VIII really marked the decline for the series. It never recovered after Friday The 13th attempted to go to Manhattan.
8. Friday The 13th VII: A New Blood
- After the Tommy Jarvis saga wrapped, Friday The 13th needed a new direction. They needed some New Blood. Filmmakers found it by introducing a girl with telekinesis. Finally, someone who can could take on Jason!
7. Friday The 13th (2009)
- I seemingly don’t hate this as much as others do. The 2009 remake of ‘Friday The 13th‘ came before the horrifying ‘Nightmare On Elm Street‘ remake but after the decent ‘Halloween‘ so horror fans were moderately less cynical.
6. Friday The 13th Part 2
- Being the first film to fully feature Jason doesn’t mean this is anywhere near the best one. Still has that early 80’s cheese and Jason didn’t get his iconic mask yet. Part 2 is stuck in a weird franchise limvo but it’s still fun.
5. Friday The 13th Part III
- Well, at least he had his hockey mask this time. This one ranks higher than Part 2 just because of the obvious shift in tone. ‘Friday The 13th Part III‘ knew what kind of movie it was making and really does the franchise justice.
4. Freddy vs Jason
- Many hate that Jason is a puppet to Freddy but I think Freddy vs Jason is one of the best narratives within both franchises. Seeing Jason break free & take control easily makes him the one to cheer for. Their end fight is so brutal as well!
3. Friday The 13th (1980)
- Before the hockey mask, there was Pamela Voorhees. The first Friday The 13th sets up the films to come beautifully by introducing you to Jason Voorhees through his mother, Pamela (Betsy Palmer). Also, young Kevin Bacon!
2. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
- After being killed in The Final Chapter and taking a break in Part 5, Jason Voorhees returns in ‘Friday The 13th Part VI‘! With the return of Tommy Jarvis & more humor added, the Friday The 13th franchise got a jolt to the heart.
1. Friday The 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter (1984)
- Everyone should know that The Final Chapter is the best film featuring Jason Voorhees. This was supposed to the last Friday The 13th movie; Part IV was so amazing that it kept the franchise alive…for better or worse.
Thank you for reading for the first Slasher Saturday!
Next week will be ‘Nightmare On Elm Street‘!
Do you agree with my ranking of the ‘Friday The 13th‘ series?
Let me know in the comments below.