With The Release Of WWE 2K17, The Evolution Of Wrestling Gaming Is Evident. Check Out The 5 Best Wrestling Games!
We’ve come a long way since WWF Wrestlemania for the NES. Gone are the pixelated characters and now we get these glorious full renders. On October 11th, WWE releases their newest game titled WWE 2K17. Looking at the graphics for the new game, the evolution is apparent but is it the best wrestling game ever? The jury is still out but there’s so many amazing wrestling games throughout history.
Which wrestling games rank the highest on this list?
Let me know if your favorite is here by commenting below!
And yes, that is Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson playing N64 with Mankind!
- WWE 2K16
- Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
- WCW/nWo Revenge
5. WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game – 1995 (Arcade, SNES, Genesis, Playstation)
- Iconic! There was wrestling games before but this cross-platform game is one of the most recognizable ever. WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game was inspired by games like Mortal Kombat so it made playing a bit more fun & fast paced. The changes paid off as the game is one of the best wrestling games in history. We’d have no WWE 2K17 if it wasn’t for this.
4. Def Jam: Vendetta – 2003 (Gamecube, Playstation 2)
- Many are shocked to see a non-WWE game on here but this was phenomenal. For me, Def Jam: Vendetta mixes my love of hip-hop with wrestling in a great blend. The fighting style was more arcade style so the fun instantly goes up. Wild and free, this game and its sequel Def Jam: Fight For NY were allowed to be whatever it wanted to be and stands out in the genre.
3. WWF No Mercy – 2000 (N64)
- This ranks lower on the list because honestly, there was a lot like it at the time. WWF No Mercy is a great game but with WCW/nWo Revenge being so similar, it’s hard to rank as a unique game. But for this generation of gaming, there is no doubt that WWF No Mercy is the epitome of great. The Attitude Era was in full effect and the roster reflects the madness of this time.
2. WWE ’13 – 2013 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii)
- The modern era of wrestling video games has been mediocre. With no other competition, WWE games are always about fixing minor things from the previous one. WWE ’13 decided to do something different. Focusing on The Attitude Era, the game feels like an complete experience. Using the improved gameplay, the narrative and theme of late 90’s wrestling allowed players to fully immerse.
1. WWE Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain – 2003 (Playstation 2)
- Here Comes the Pain set the standards for wrestling games until the drastically different WWE ’12 . If you were a wrestling fan in 2003, this was the game to have! The roster was stacked, graphics still hold up, and everything from the Elimination Chamber to Bra & Panties matches were introduced. Fun Fact: Ironically, this was also the last game Brock Lesnar appear in until WWE ’12!
Check out WWE 2K17 in stores now.
You can find it released for Xbox One/Xbox 360, PS4/PS3, and Windows.
Do you agree with my list? Comment below!