Finally! A Comics Journal Episode! Our longest, deepest episode to date. In fact, the original video files were so massive that technical limitations prevented extra imagery to be included throughout the show this time around but there are plenty of comics to show off throughout.
Just a few things to expect this issue:
* The origins of the Comics Journal (addendum to the broadcast: Fantagraphics bought the Nostalgia Journal and repackaged it as the New Nostalgia Journal, before settling on The Comics Journal.)
* Learn about the creation of the direct market and how Diamond became a monopoly. Phil Seuling anyone?
* Image comics is a month or two old and has taken 2nd place in the comic book market!
* A quick bit about Neil Gaiman’s Sandman.
* Frank Young compares the earliest Golden Age nonsense with the new Image comics of 1992
* Darcy Sullivan cuts promos on the Les Daniels book about Marvel’s 50 year history
* Rich Kreiner on the post-modern nature of Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol series
* and the headlining main event Todd McFarlane vs. Gary Groth in a steel cage match interview that spans dozens and dozens of pages.
Supporting links for later viewing/listening:
* Gary Groth at the Sydney Opera House talking about the history of Fantagraphics
*The 1969 comicon photo with legend to associates names with the faces (Thanks Chris Pitzer) http://www.fantucchio.com/fandom_reunion_comic-con_2011/1969_ny_comic_art_convention_luncheon_photo.html
* Phil Seuling on the Mike Douglas show in the mid-70s, before Mylar comic bags existed!
* 15 yr old Frank Miller Fanzine work.
* About 2/3 of the McFarlane/Groth interview is online in mp3 format!!!!!
Read the complete interview here:
* Red’s Tube Bar tapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l5tdsyuLX0
* Ed Piskor’s comic strip about the Tube Bar tapes: https://boingboing.net/2012/06/26/brain-rot-the-red-tube-bar-tap.html
* Howard Stern interviews the Tube Bar callers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-vY3jNJ6Q
* Dan Clowes talking about Shut Up, Little Man…
*Jim Blanchard’s Park Grubbs tapes documentary:
Connect with us:
Ed’s Contact info: