Snail Mail! Cartoonist Kayfabe, PO Box 3071, Munhall, Pa 15120
Grab your “Frederic Wertham can eat a [email protected]%” T-shirts, and more Cartoonist Kayfabe merchandise at our new storefront: https://shop.spreadshirt.com/cartoonist-kayfabe/men?q=D1
The full Comics Journal Episode!
Just a few things to expect this issue:
* The origins of the Comics Journal (addendum to the broadcast: Fantagraphics bought the Nostalgia Journal and repackaged it as the New Nostalgia Journal, before settling on The Comics Journal.)
* Learn about the creation of the direct market and how Diamond became a monopoly. Phil Seuling anyone?
* Image comics is a month or two old and has taken 2nd place in the comic book market!
* A quick bit about Neil Gaiman’s Sandman.
* Frank Young compares the earliest Golden Age nonsense with the new Image comics of 1992
* Darcy Sullivan cuts promos on the Les Daniels book about Marvel’s 50 year history
* Rich Kreiner on the post-modern nature of Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol series
* and the headlining main event Todd McFarlane vs. Gary Groth in a steel cage match interview that spans dozens and dozens of pages.
Supporting links for later viewing/listening:
* Gary Groth at the Sydney Opera House talking about the history of Fantagraphics
*The 1969 comicon photo with legend to associates names with the faces (Thanks Chris Pitzer) http://www.fantucchio.com/fandom_reunion_comic-con_2011/1969_ny_comic_art_convention_luncheon_photo.html
* Phil Seuling on the Mike Douglas show in the mid-70s, before Mylar comic bags existed!
* 15 yr old Frank Miller Fanzine work.
* About 2/3 of the McFarlane/Groth interview is online in mp3 format!!!!!
Read the complete interview here:
* Red’s Tube Bar tapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l5tdsyuLX0
* Ed Piskor’s comic strip about the Tube Bar tapes: https://boingboing.net/2012/06/26/brain-rot-the-red-tube-bar-tap.html
* Howard Stern interviews the Tube Bar callers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-vY3jNJ6Q
* Dan Clowes talking about Shut Up, Little Man…
*Jim Blanchard’s Park Grubbs tapes documentary:
* Seinfeld on the Buddy Rich tapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWP77C4StLs
*The actual Buddy Rich tapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omID1prJHFo
The Comics Journal 152, part 2 – we continue comparing and contrasting mainstream and alternative comics. Chris Claremont, Alan Moore, Evan Dorkin, and David Mazzucchelli talk about their experiences inside and outside of the Marvel/DC machine.
• Chris Claremont’s first big interview after leaving his 17-year position as X-Men writer
• Alan Moore on the current state of comics and culture
• A young Evan Dorkin talks Milk & Cheese, Bill & Ted, Pirate Corps, Deadline magazine, comics retail, Marvel, wrestling, music, and art
• David Mazzucchelli turns self-publisher with Rubber Blanket! He also talks about Daredevil and Batman
• Justin Green’s sketchbook
• The first Artist Edition?
Supplemental links for later viewing:
* Kim Thompson Ronin 1 review (from Comics Journal 82, July 83):
* Vice interview with Issei Sagawa:
Connect with us:
Ed’s Contact info: